Start by assigning a letter to each room in your new home and label items accordingly on your inventory list. For example, all items labeled “F” will find their place in the new family room. This labeling system streamlines packing, saving you valuable time during unpacking.
Extend the same lettering system to your furniture, using masking tape to designate each item’s destination. This ensures our movers know exactly where to place each piece upon arrival.
Get Your Supplies
We offer a range of box sizes and essential packing materials, delivered upon request. Alternatively, you can acquire boxes from U-Haul, Home Depot, Lowe’s, or online retailers like Amazon. Ensure you have enough boxes, estimating on the higher side to avoid any shortage on moving day.
In addition to boxes, gather packing tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, scissors, box cutters, masking tape for labeling furniture, sharpies, and basic tools like screwdrivers and pliers for disconnecting or removing items.
Make Your Plan and Get Organized
Stay organized by planning ahead. Instead of starting at the beginning, begin at the end. Identify items you’ll need until the last moment and mark them as essentials. Set aside a box labeled “essentials” for these last-minute items, making them easily accessible during and after the move.
How to Pack? The First Steps
Start with fragile items like paintings, wall hangings, and decorative pieces. For valuable or glass-framed items, provide ample cushioning with bubble wrap, blankets, and packing paper. Mark boxes containing fragile items clearly with “fragile-glass” and the designated room letter.
Consider transporting valuable items, such as paintings and jewelry, separately for added peace of mind.
Important Packing Tips
- Use small boxes for heavy items and large boxes for lighter items.
- Ensure no box exceeds 50 pounds when fully packed.
- Seal boxes tightly with packing tape, reinforcing seams if boxes are old or thin.
- Prioritize bubble wrap and packing tape for fragile items.
- Create “unpack first” boxes for essential items in the bedroom(s).
- Place heavier items at the box’s bottom and lighter items on top.
- Check off items on your inventory list as you pack each box.